Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Why Outmoded Ales? Isn't beer just beer?

Greetings fellow humans. You may be wondering why anyone would be a beer enthusiast. You may be wondering why a blog would focus on beers from the past when there has been an explosion of microbreweries across the nation. After all, isn't beer just beer? Well, yes. That is technically correct, however, there are nuances to the many different styles. Many microbreweries are pushing the envelope of what beer is. Types of ingredients, amount of ingredients, alcohol percentage, and even brand logos have come a long way from what the market used to offer. That being said, there are a plethora of beers from past ages that can still be enjoyed today.

Image credit: Cottonbro studio/Pexels












Sometime in 2012, after I turned 21, I had tried several beers. I remember thinking, "Why do people like this stuff?" It was not that appealing to me. These were major market brands like Budweiser, Miller, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. All these beers are of a particular style called American adjacent lagers, and have dominated the market since the end of prohibition.

One day, I found myself wondering around kalamazoo, Michigan. This town is known for their microbreweries. I had time to kill, so I figured I would stop into a pub to grab a meal. I scoured the beer menu looking for something unfamiliar. I decided to select a beer called Bell's Two Hearted IPA. After receiving the glass I indulged in to a sensory experience that was novel. The smell wasn't like any other beer. It was fruity and sweet. The taste was punchy and complex. I thought to myself "What is this magical potion!".

 Image credit: Kalei Winfield/pexels













At that time I was a broke 21 year old college student, and sampling beers was something I couldn't do often. I began researching different styles of beer, and had found many that were not represented in the market. These two factors lead me to learn to brew for myself. I'm still broke, and there are still many beer styles that are not on the market. Some things never change, but that's beside the point. 

I was not intrigued by beer simply for the sensory experience, or the effects of alcohol. It was the art form. Beer is a representation of many subjects. A true convergence of art, science, history, and philosophy. Direct experience is the ultimate form of knowledge. Imagine trying to describe the smell of a bouquet of flowers, or the joys of bonding with your dog. Could you do it justice? It is through understanding these different aspects of beer,  and experiencing them, that we can gain a better understanding of our history, and what it means to be human. 

This blog will address the subjects mentioned above throughout later posts. I will be sharing some recipes, history, and science without getting too geeky. This will be interesting and helpful for experienced and novice brewers alike. I will focus on ale style beers of the past. I chose to focus on ales using extract malt for simplicity and quick turn around times. Hopefully you will gain an appreciation for beer, or at least learn something new. Please, feel free to ask questions or even offer advise.

-Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, fellow beer lover. How awesome that you can pinpoint having your mind blown by that first Two Hearted. I agree that Two Hearted is an excellent beer and it's on my list of favorites. When you mentioned alcohol percentage as a varying factor, I was reminded of a trip to Nashville I just took in August. Being a beer enthusiast also, I've perused a lot of beer menus and it struck me right away that in Nashville the majority of beer menus I saw didn't list ABV. It seems like in the Michiana area and beyond, listing ABV on the menu is very typical. At least for me, it plays a big part in my beer selection and gives an idea of the experience you're in for when choosing a new-to-you beer. I'm really interested in hearing about your homebrewing experiences. I've tried it twice and found it to be time intensive. It was a while ago but I feel like the huge brew pot needed to simmer on the stove for so long! Then there's the sanitizing of bottles and attempting to reduce the amount of sediment, which for me proved difficult. Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it so strange that Nashville would not have listed the ABVs. A high ABV can be a selling point for some people. A way for brewers to boast about their skills and product.
    I know all grain brewing there is a lot of water that must be boiled off to reach the correct volume of wort. There is a lot of extra water from the sparging process. With extract brewing this process can be bypassed because the mash and sparging has already been done and concentrated into malt extract. This allows for less time and equipment. Unfortunately, there is no way of getting around all the washing and sanitizing.

    ReplyDelete

The Process: Extract Brewing

The Process Boil Add one gallon of tap water to a pot and bring to a boil. Using a lid will help it reach a boil faster. Add the malt extrac...